Motorcycle Club » New MB Riders Forum

650 to 1100 or 1300?

27 posts from 13 voices
About This Topic
  1. FITUMI219
    #

I have a 1999 650 and I love her. I am a 5'8", 165 lb female rider. I have about 1 year and 2,000 miles of riding experience I still have some issues leaning enough in turns, but living in the Mojave desert, there are not a lot of them to practice on!

My hubby has a VN 2000, 3 times the size of my bike! Anyway, I am ready for some long road trips but an feeling that the 650 is a little small for highways, wind and all day riding. It gets really buzzy above 65 MPH. I cannot afford a brand new bike, or I would go for the 950. So...I am looking at used 1100 and 1300 V-Stars. It seems to me there is not really much difference in the enging, only 200cc. So what are the other differences? Aren't the both air cooled and carbuerated? Is there anything I could really consider good or bad about either? I am thinking it will end up being between a year 2000 and 2004, I have about a $6,000 budget to work with, max.

Looking forward to everyone's opinion and experience...especially you ladies out there!!

Melinda

FITUMI219 -- Fake It Til You Make It!!!!

2. unpitten
    #

I have a 1999 650 and I love her. I am a 5'8", 165 lb female rider. I have about 1 year and 2,000 miles of riding experience I still have some issues leaning enough in turns, but living in the Mojave desert, there are not a lot of them to practice on! My hubby has a VN 2000, 3 times the size of my bike! Anyway, I am ready for some long road trips but an feeling that the 650 is a little small for highways, wind and all day riding. It gets really buzzy above 65 MPH. I cannot afford a brand new bike, or I would go for the 950. So...I am looking at used 1100 and 1300 V-Stars. It seems to me there is not really much difference in the enging, only 200cc. So what are the other differences? Aren't the both air cooled and carbuerated? Is there anything I could really consider good or bad about either? I am thinking it will end up being between a year 2000 and 2004, I have about a $6,000 budget to work with, max. Looking forward to everyone's opinion and experience...especially you ladies out there!! Melinda FITUMI219 -- Fake It Til You Make It!!!!
    11 air cooled - 13 water cooled (desert proof!)
    11 shaft drive - 13 belt drive
    11 carburated 9 - 13 fuel injection

I think you would find the 13 will handle better but will need a few modifications for comfort; mainly different handle bars. Seats are always an issue on stock motorcycles; some like'em, some not.

3. Scupakirl
    #

Melinda, I'm also a female rider. I had an 1100, and I now currently have a 1300. I personally think the 1300 is a much smoother and more balanced ride. There is only about 60-100lbs difference in weight-depending on which model you get (I had the 1100 Classic, and now have the 1300 tourer) I'm not as blessed in height as you are I'm 5'4 so I had to have the 1300 lowered, but the 1100 was fine. I really prefer the liquid cooled over the air cooled, as well as the belt drive which seems to make it run smoother.I really don't think you can go wrong with either of these models. I would test ride both before choosing and then decide which one your more comfortable with. I really like the added weight it has actually made for riding in the wind much easier as I don't get blown around as much, the bike stands it's ground, which is a good feeling to have! Good luck and let us know which one you go with! Ride safe!

~Jamie~

4. yaro
    #

I have a 1100 and it also "buzzes" over 65mph. It has a high rpms at that speed. I don't do a lot highway rides [yet], but I may consider 1300 or something bigger. You will probably not see a big change from 650 to 1100.

5. poppj
    #

melinda....i think the 1100 is a great bike for the money.....i have a 05....i have had many bikes over the years....yamaha makes some of the best bikes....the 1100 is the best bike i have ever owned....on your budget you will be able to get a nice one....bob

6. FITUMI219
    #

Thanks for all the replies so far. I would also love to hear from some 650 riders....how do you like the 650 on the highway and long trips? I am wondering if I am blaming some of my hesitancy for highway travel on the 650, or if it is justified with the smaller bike. I know there are a lot of 650s out there that must travel the highway......

7. cole2273
    #

if you are looking for a bike between 2000 and 2004 you wont get a 1300. the first year made was 07. so it might cost a little more than a 04 1100. but the 1300 is a lot more than just 200cc. its a whole new bike. I have both and there's not one thing that's the same. my 1300 is by far superior over our 1100. yaro is right you wont see much difference in the 650 and 1100 some power but not much If money was not the problem I would say the new 950 would be the bike for you. if you look in the right place you can find the 1300s for cheep. we have a dealer in MN that has new 07s/08s for $6999. thats a steal for that much bike.

8. Suzhipiger
    #

Have you tried simple fixes first like Kury isolation grips? You can also get palm throttle attachments for them to give your throttle grip a break on long rides. Either way, it sounds like you'll have some buzz 650, or 1100. The 1100 will probably be a lower frequency and not as annoying.

I'm not positive on this, but I think the 1300's come with running boards and a heel/toe shifter. Maybe some of the 1300 owners can confirm this for me.

9. FITUMI219
    #

I had added the Kury grips and the hand buzz in not an issue, more the foot buzz and the "vision" jumping. I have a throttle boss too, and love it. It came with some sort of friction cruise control which I hated and removed. I put some cheap floor boards on it, they do not have thick enough rubber to dampen the vibe I imagine if I put real VStar floor boards that would improve (I'm assuming?). But the most annoying is the vision....seems like it just jumps all over the place, and it depends on the the road. On some roads at 80, it's good, others at 65 I feel like my eyes are bouncing all over the place....or maybe it's the helmet? I have a full face Scorpoion 700, which I believe is a good helmet.

10. retzdaret
    #

Thanks for all the replies so far. I would also love to hear from some 650 riders....how do you like the 650 on the highway and long trips? I am wondering if I am blaming some of my hesitancy for highway travel on the 650, or if it is justified with the smaller bike. I know there are a lot of 650s out there that must travel the highway......
    First off, welcome to the forum. Please when you have a minute post an introduction so we can get to know you a little better.

As for the 650. Until I did an air in mod, changed the pipes, and rejeted it, it was capable on the interstate, but was not real comfortable at all speeds. It had some sweet spots like 75 to 80 that was smooth, but around 60, it was not smooth at all. The mods fixed that completely. The 650 will never be as smooth on the highway as a 1300 because the 650 is a high revving bike. It runs best in the high RPMs. I am comfortable on the highway for long rides, but it took me some time to get there. I just had to get used to the high RPMs. It is your call if you want to upgrade. I love my 650 and am very happy with it, but still catch myself checking out 1300's from time to time.

Personally if I was going to upgrade, it would be the 1300 because of the belt drive and fuel injection.

11. Suzhipiger
    #

This sounds like a function of turbulance around your head that vibrates your faceplate. Are you running a windscreen?

I put a Givi A700 small windscreen on my bike and although it takes the pressure off of my chest it creates turbulance around my head and makes my faceplate buzz and vibrate which makes my vision jump a bit. At high speeds I hunker down a bit to get out of the turbulance.

If you're running a windscreen, you might want a taller one. If you're not, see if you can borrow a different helmet especially a half-helmet with goggles (Just to experiment) and see what happens.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a larger bike, you're tall enough to move up in my opinion. I'm just making suggestions based on your comment about not having a lot of money to throw around.

As far as highway travel, I've heard mixed opinions. Many say that 650 is just fine, that it's a high revving engine that can take it for long periods. Others complain that it's just not enough grunt when you're trying to pass or get out of the way out on the Superslab. Only you can make that determination. The operator's weight and personal gear load will have an impact on performance.

I'm sorry I can't offer a personal comparison. I started with a 28 year old XJ 750 inline-4 early sport bike and upgraded to a Warrior XV1700 because I just didn't want to deal with the financial hassle of upgrading through intermediate bikes. I bought my last bike first and I'm growing into it. I've ridden with a couple of folks with 650's though and they certainly had no complaints.

12. FITUMI219
    #

Wow Cole, I did not realize 2007 was the first year for a 1300! I do not want to upgrade now and then want to again in a year or so. From what you've all said here, I think I will wait until I can afford a 1300. I do want the liquid cooling and fuel injection. I have been looking at the 900 Kawasaki's because of that reason too. Hubby has the Vulcan 2000 and it's great, but I really do like the Yamaha's.

It had totally bored out loud, ragged sounding pipes when I got it, we put stock pipes back on it. It has been rejetted, but I don't know if I lost the benefit of that by putting stock pipes back on it??? Maybe we can do some more mods to fine tune it to get me through until I can afford a 1300.

13. retzdaret
    #

Yeah, if you put stock pipes back on and did not set the jets, pms, and needles back to stock, you may be running very rich. That would make it run poorly for sure. Do you have an air intake mod like a hypercharger? You might try putting the pipes back on and see if it runs better.

14. FITUMI219
    #

Thank you retzdaret. I posted an intro in the 650 forum

I sold the pipes. I am not very mechanical so I will have to ask my hubby, but to my knowledge there is no air intake mod like a hypercharger. I do know that the air was modified by the previous uses somehow, to allow for more airflow. But I don't think we have readjusted the jets. Hubby had it all apart at one point, but he didn't say anything about that.

I am learning how to work on the bike Last month I had a flat rear tire, I helped pull the wheel off and put it back on, and I changed my own oil under hubby's very helpful guidance.

15. retzdaret
    #

Thank you for posting the introduction. Once we get little more information on your setup, we should be able to recommend some changes to get the bike to run smoother. The fun is still ahead.

16. cole2273
    #

sorry I didn't mean to rain on your parade but I didn't want you to waste time looking for a bike in the 2000 year range when the didn't exist for seven more years. but the good news is you might be lucky to find one in your price range if you look on craigslist or eBay. I was offered a nice price for mine the other day but I had to turn it down. that's the bad part of modding you bike too much, you'll never get it all back.

17. micg10
    #

i have the 650 classic and love it, it keeps up with bigger cruiser comfortably, i am 6'1' and just on 200pounds and don't have a problem with it so the only reason i would go bigger is because i want to not because i have to! but thats just me!

18. marwz
    #

You didn't indicate whether or not you have a windshield. Would that make a difference on the 650 at highway speeds and your head and helmet bouncing around? Perhaps others could comment on that.

19. Scupakirl
    #

Yes, I have been experiencing the feeling of being a "bobble head", which from what I have read is buffeting. My 1300 came with floorboards (as my 1100 did too), my 1300 is the Tourer, so it has the bags and shield. I'm ordering some lowers to put on mine, which is supposed to pretty much eliminate the buffeting problems. I don't feel any buzzing sensation, but I have different bars and grips (for my added comfort). I hope you find what you are looking for, I have seen some really good deals here and there on the 1300's, just keep your eyes peeled!! Good luck!!

20. FITUMI219
    #

Yes I have a windshield. I can just see over it. I do not like looking through them.

Reply »

You must log in to post.