Motorcycle Club » General Forum

650 Classic gone?

36 posts from 20 voices
About This Topic
  1. Safari72
    #

I have the 2010 650 classic and love it. I have been on long rides (5-8 hour rides) a few times a week. I find the bike very comfortable. I've been on and off the highway with no problems. I can keep up with everyone one I ride with (most of them have 1300 up to 1800 cc). The seat is fine for me, but that could be because I have plenty of natural padding (a big rear end). I tried the 950 but the engine head was sticking into my leg so it wasn't a good fit for me. I'm 5'3", the salesperson I was talking to said that the 950 is a great bike for someone a little taller and more leg :-)

2. Liwezdeam5
    #

I'm riding a 2008 VSTAR Silverado and it's doing me just fine. Purchased it from the dealer in February and have put 3200 or so miles on it so far. I use it to commute to work, two lane roads, few highways. Longest time in the saddle has been three hours. The saddle suits me fine but as I said three or so hours the longest ride I've made. For me it's been a great first bike. A sixth gear would be great, fuel injection, yes please. I expect to hold this one until it's paid for and then, who knows.

3. bluesjr87
    #

Two reasons, cost and cannibalizing sales from other models. They...

Opa,
    Very good points. I almost bought a M50 instead (gasp!). Went to Suzuki's website yesterday and my local dealer's website - looks like they're dropping cruiser models also.

Shebhertezz,
    The most obvious difference is style. The Classic looks like a certain classic Harley (Electro-glide?), while the Custom is trying to emulate the chopper look, with taller front tire, smaller fenders. As far as substance, this is what I get from people on this forum, the dealer, and from reviews (disclaimer - I've only ridden my Custom). The Classic is 30+ lbs heavier, more comfortable, stable on the freeway and has a big-bike feel. The Custom is lighter, thinner, faster (acceleration), better mpg, and more nimble in the twisties.

I love my Custom, and do about 90% of my riding in the twisties. If I were touring, or did mostly hwy, I'd definitely go for the Classic/Silverado (same bike with bags and shield) - I prefer their look over the Custom. I bought used, and basically went for the first good deal I could find after passing the MSF this spring.

4. BuppaKahuna
    #

Touring doesn't always mean the same thing to everyone. Some people consider a 200 mile trip at 60 MPH touring, others scoff at anything under 1000 miles or under 80 mph. Some expect to carry a ton of luggage, others travel light enough to not even use saddlebags.

The 650 is a proven starter to middleweight commuter & tourer under 70 mph. If you compare it to any other middleweight currently sold, it holds it's own pretty well and is reliable as all get out. It has quite a bit more power than the Suzuki 650 cruiser & overall handles a lot better than the Honda 750. The Yamaha also holds it's 'real-world' used value better than either of those, a quick search of any CL will confirm that.

My wife has a 2001 Classic that has the big Tour Classic saddle bags & a Memphis Fats windshield that she kept up with my Roadstar & a pack of HD big twins all over Kansas at about 70 MPH for 5 hours at a time. Obviously her bike was working a lot harder than the rest, but she had more trouble with the 35 mph plains crosswinds than our traveling speed.

If you were told it's a good tourer, it is within reason. It's not comparable to a bike with twice the engine and another 200lbs holding it on the road.

I'd think your salesman might have made a better effort at determining your expectations before selling you a 650 for touring, or at least find out what touring means to you. I wouldn't sell someone a 650 if I thought I could sell them a 950, 1100, 1300 or even bigger. Doesn't make sense to under sell when any smart salesman could upsell to a bigger more expensive model. Especially when it means meeting the customer's needs better.

Did you say you wanted a new touring bike and could not spend over $6500 for it or something? Financial limits are the only reason I'd limit someone to a smaller engine than I could maybe roll out the door - but that's just me. If it were entirely up to me, everyone would be riding Roadstars or something bigger. ;D

Cheers,
    - JJ

5. OpaTheRider
    #

I'd think your salesman might have made a better effort...

That was one of my points; the salesman didn't ask enough questions, and when I mentioned that the 650 was one of the models I'd done some research on, to him it seemed to be the end of the sales process. As I mentioned before, I haven't ridden in 35 years, and my last bike was a 450, which was a fairly large bike then. I was also 80 pounds lighter than I am now (and I'm sure that factors in as well, but I'm working on that).

Did you say you wanted a new touring bike and...

I never mentioned price until he assured me it was a good touring bike (and I did tell him I wanted to do some freeway traveling). As I've also said before, if I knew then what I know now, I'd have bought a 950, or even an 1100.

I've had the bike since 4/21, and this afternoon it turned over to 6200 miles, so I do use it (it's my primary transportation unless it's raining), and I've gotten to actually like some features, like the handling. The seat sucks, and I did replace the air filter with a K&N (which "seems" to help a little at higher speeds, but it could be in my head also). I've also gotten used to the noise at 70mph, but the vibration is such that I don't ride at that speed very often. I'm going to decide next year whether to do further modifications (exhaust, carb tweaking, etc.), as it's getting close to the end of the riding season here. I'll ride it for probably another month, mainly to work and on warm days off, and then I'll have lots of time to ponder which direction I'm heading in the spring.

6. Philo107
    #

This bike is great for riders 5'8" or less and plan on staying off the freeway's completely.

7. VTvinChic
    #

It appears the PRINT publications don't have the Classic or Silverados listed.
    That is usually a huge indicator as to the offerings for the year:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...rochure_v2.pdf
    ^^^^ A link to the Star US cycle print brochure.

8. micg10
    #

This bike is great for riders 5'8" or less and...

i'm 6'1 and ride the freeways regularly even 2-up on my 650 and have had no trouble what so ever.

9. BigerDawe
    #

I rode 7 hours at speeds of 70-75 mph with a group of HD's to the Leavenworth 10 Freedom Ride several weeks ago. Other than not getting on the Interstate quite as fast as the HD's, I didn't have any problems keeping up with them
    www.youtube.com
    type "Leavenworth 10 Freedom Ride" in the search window.
    click "search"

10. Philo107
    #

i'm 6'1 and ride the freeways regularly even 2-up on...

Compare your ride to a V Star 1100 or better yet the Roadliner. You'll be on another forum before you can say " Throw another Shrimp on the Barbie"

11. VTvinChic
    #

Hey guys, can we leave it as just a mater of perspective?
    Check out this cross country ride, and then tell me if a 650 will work. HINT: for some it is fine, for others... not so much: http://www.scootercannonball.com/

12. micg10
    #

Hey guys, can we leave it as just a mater...

no worries.

13. BigerDawe
    #

I wasn't trying to start an argument.
    I was simply stating what I had done and, yes, I am considering a Strat or RSTD for the wife and me.

14. Bokobob95
    #

Obviously this thread has morphed into a discussion about the merits of the Classic......

I'll throw in my two cents...I like my 650 Classic Silverado..it does not have a lot of power (as compared to my Honda Magna V4 power cruiser), but it handles very nicely, is comfy for me (added afterMarget seat) and also plenty roomy for me at 5'9".........I do not do touring so that is not an issue in my case...(I could tour on a Goldwing and still tire rapidly due to my age)...it is a good looker....

The Classic must not have sold that well, or they would not be dumping it..
    From memory, Yama cruisers now are more spaced out: 250CC, 650CC, 900 (or is it 950?), no more 1100 (I think I have that right), now a 1300 and so on....Sounds like a good lineup.

15. BuppaKahuna
    #

They may not be discontinuing it, they may be doing what they routinely do with various models that are selling slow - dropping production for one year while they either clear the pipe or retool for an upgraded version.

If they are clearing the pipe, it's because there are a lot of them in Yamaha's regional warehouses sitting in crates from this year, last year and before. It makes no sense to push more in there if there are 2 and 3 year old models that haven't ever been delivered to dealers.

If they do drop it from the lineup, it would likely be for upgrade reasons. Yamaha has always had great luck with 650 twins. Do a search for XS650 on Google if you haven't heard of that particular model. It wasn't a V Twin but a parallel and is often called the Japanese Triumph for more than a couple reasons. They were however much more reliable than their Euro counterpart but fell by the wayside after 24 years of production when people started preferring V Twins to parallel twins.

The V Star 650 is basically a revamped Virago engine in a full frame and soft tail replacing the straight swingarm. Add a fatter tank, forks, fenders & seat ... lower it a little and the change was complete. The V Star 650 is a single spark plug, 2 valve per cylinder engine. Yamaha is now going with a lot more twin plug, 4 valve per cylinder engines in their twins because they're far more reliable, last longer & are more efficient. It's just progress.

I wouldn't completely write off the 650 we know now. It will likely resurface as something better and more modern to meet customer and regulatory demands. That's not always a bad thing.

Cheers,
    - JJ

16. VTvinChic
    #

Do I hear the rumor of a EFI 650 down the line?????? Now THAT would be progress that would pull Yamaha above the board very quickly.

You must log in to post.