Motorcycle Club » General Forum

650 Classic gone?

36 posts from 20 voices
About This Topic
  1. rzchafer2
    #

Did Yamaha really do away with the 650 Classic? Their website shows the 2011 models and the 650 Classic is not there. Now my wife and I both own soon to be collectors items. My 1100 Classic and her 650 Classic.

2. tunc
    #

even if they did get rid of it the parts supply would not be a problem

and ya didnt know that you were going to own such rare motorcycles hey

3. killizfirekirl
    #

4. OpaTheRider
    #

Looks like they did away with a few touring models for the U. S. Bummer. May have to look at another brand next year.

5. virefaceone
    #

Not available in the USwww.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...els-Yamaha.htm...

That stinks about the classics not being available anymore but check out the link for the new bike, the 2011 Stryker. Looks like its going to be a poors mans raider. Looks like a raider but with a 1300 in it. That one has me kind of interested.

6. bluesjr87
    #

This is a real surprise, as I thought the classic and silverado were the better looking models. I have the Custom, and am liking it more and more, but it took some getting used to the style. I wonder how they decided which to keep and which to let go.

7. OpaTheRider
    #

After having put 5500 miles on my new Silverado since 4/21, I guess I'm not really that surprised. It looks like a nice touring bike, but it's really more of an around town cruiser. Basically, I was sold the wrong bike for long distance touring (and I did a lot of research before buying, which said nothing about rider size and the horrible saddle). I did get a rider opinion survey from Yamaha in May, and I let them know about my experience. I'm not saying that alone contributed, as the decision was no doubt made long before then, but they probably realized that it is not a real touring bike.

8. virefaceone
    #

After having put 5500 miles on my new Silverado since...

Not to be a jerk but did you really go into buying the 650 thinking it was going to be a great long distance tourer? I have ridden mine on some decently long rides and it does good and everything i expect of it and i trust it to go anywhere but going into buying my classic i had no illusions that it would ever be a long distance tourer. I dont think that is what Yamaha has ever really Margeted the classic as even on the Silverado model so i highly doubt that is the reason they have let it go. If anything i expect to see it back in a year or 2 with fuel injection and maybe a few other updates but mostly the same bike, it has been a good seller.. You were not sold the wrong bike you just plain flat out bought the wrong bike.The slickest salesman in the world could never have sold me one of these 650's if I was in the Marget for a long distance touring bike. That said i love my 650 and it has been a good bike....but definitely not a touring model.

9. OpaTheRider
    #

Not to be a jerk but did you really go...

From Yamaha's website;

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...63/0/home.aspx

"Everything you need to travel is right here, with not much excess baggage to hold you back. A medium-sized adjustable windshield, low profile studded touring seat with backrest and studded leather saddlebags are everything the V Star Silverado needs to be a great traveling bike."

"A SOHC 40-cupic-inch V-twin feeding power through an efficient shaft drive makes a great touring package."

"Rider floorboards provide great comfort on long rides, and the hardtail-looking rear end soaks up bumps with nearly four inches of rear wheel travel."

Their words, implying that this is a traveling bike, when it isn't. I owned a 450 Honda 35 years ago, and that had more balls on the freeway than this 650. Lots of reviews I read said that this bike could make a good touring bike.

If it was a great seller, they wouldn't dump it, as companies don't dump their better selling stuff.

I specifically asked the salesperson about a good touring bike, and he assured me that the Silverado would be fine. One of the main problems is that it needs an extra gear, and the seat is absolutely horrible (I get numb after 1/2 hour of riding). It's an 09 model, so the dealer probably wanted to get rid of it, to move in the '10 models. I spent a number of years working in service at car dealers (which I left because I like sleeping at night), and I've seen lots of sales people assure customers that the car they're buying is the best one for them, when they're simply trying to move anything they can out the door.

It's a great bike for around town riding, but it was Margeted as a traveling bike by both Yamaha and the dealer; they sold me the wrong bike. It vibrates like crazy at anything above 65, and the engine is turning at just over a grand under redline at 70, at which point it is uncomfortable after a ten minute highway ride.

10. virefaceone
    #

From Yamaha's website;www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...63/0/home.aspx"Everything you need to travel is right here,...

I still stick to the fact that you bought the wrong bike and were not sold the wrong bike and I am not completely sure your math is correct when you say you are turning just over a grand under red line at 70 MPH.If all the charts and everything i have read is correct we still have a hair above 2,000 rpm left at 70 and should not hit the red line until we get well past 95 mph if not 100. If these bikes are not your cup of tea I can understand that, they are not for everybody and dont serve every purpose and thats cool. I dont expect everyone to like them but I find it hard to believe that I will be the only one on this board that will think its kind of crazy that you were shopping for a serious touring bike and came out with a 650 silverado and you want to place a lot of the blame for that on Yamaha and a salesman and think the reason they disontinued the bike is for the reasons you state.. Maybe i am the jerk here but I just dont see the logic.Hopefully others see the point I am making. If not i will accept the roll as the out of the loop dope.

11. zhovman
    #

If you search the forum(s), there have been plenty of 650's make "cross country" trips with no problems. It may not be the ultimate "Touring" bike but will suffice. I have to agree with earlier statements that this is a Margeting Ploy and we will see the 650 and possibly the RSTD line come back in a couple of years all fuel injected and (hopefully) with better saddles. Most people agree the 650 is an entry level mid-sized bike good for learning to ride on with enough get-up-and-go for whatever type of riding the owner wants to do. Maybe not the greatest but good enough to get the desire going for something better (eventually). That is one of the main reasons my wife bought her's. She never owned a bike before, now she has her 650, can ride it, can take it on the highway if she needs to.

12. OpaTheRider
    #

I still stick to the fact that you bought the...

I was mistaken on the statement about redline being almost reached at 70. I did some further research and found that there's about 2200 rpm left at 70, with a standard sized rider (whatever that is). At 100 it is running at redline.

As to the other statement, I'll stick to the facts, which is that a salesman told me this would be a good touring bike, and that Yamaha Margets it as such, as can be clearly shown on their web site. You may be more motorcycle savvy than I am (as I haven't ridden in 35 years), but a customer walking into any place of business often takes the recommendation of a supposedly knowledgeable salesperson into consideration when purchasing. One who wouldn't have ridden a motorcycle in over three decades could easily be persuaded that a 650 is a good sized bike, especially considering that a 650 was considered a large bike 35 years ago.

I ride the bike a lot, as is evidenced by the 5500+ miles I have on it, since 4/21. I don't entirely dislike it, but it just feels uncomfortable after a long trip, and the vibrations and the engine sounding like it's coming apart at those speeds leave me less than satisfied on the highway.

Next year I'm going to look into either seeing if I can open it up a little and replacing the seat, or buying another bike to replace it.

BTW, there's no reason to put yourself down, by saying you may be a jerk (or subtly intimating that others may be). We're having a disagreement, based on how we view things, and there's no need to take it any further.

13. cupic
    #

Most if not all motorcycle seats sucks. Thats why the afterMarget is so big. Thats why I have a pcs seat on my 650 and my 1/2 hr. went to 2hrs. of riding time. Just put in my two cents thats all

14. viltirizhman
    #

Yes I'm in agreement with both parties (Opa and Wireface). I always felt that the 650 was a dependable and reliable form of transportation and good on gas. I ultimately chose to rejet to get more from the engine at highway speed but to no avail, I turned to my 900 vulcan with fuel injection. I did alot of custom work on my bike which sucked when i went for the trade in. I read infomation on the site that told me that it wasnt a very good long distance tourer without the an afterMarget seat, thats what I love about the website. Folks hear will give you the skinny unlike a salesman trying to make some duckies. You can always trade up to the 950 Opa (metric bike of the year). Just my two cents, Hello to all my friends out there, I know it's been awhile since i was on her last!

15. bluesjr87
    #

As to the other statement, I'll stick to the facts,...

Based on my semi-intensive m/c search in the spring, I knew my little 650 wasn't going to be a long-distance machine. However, I think the OP has good points. Yamaha and this salesman presented this bike as a touring bike, and if you can't trust Yamaha to be honest, why would you trust them to build a good m/c? Salesmen (or women) are another story, and I have a very low opinion of them. Many will literally say anything to make a sale. I think it is unscrupulous of both the company and this particular salesman.

For the life of me, I can't understand why Yamaha hasn't added a gear, or made 5th a little taller. They must have gotten a ton of feedback. Almost every user review mentioned it, and I read dozens. Better gearing and a better saddle would make it a pretty decent 1-up tourer. Having said that, I'm getting used to the hi-revving engine, and once I get past trying to shift into a phantom 6th a couple of times when merging on the freeway, I usually forget about the engine and start enjoying the ride.

After some 4K miles this summer, I'm getting comfortable on the bike ('02 Custom) and am finding it far more capable that I expected. But now that I'm putting some time in the saddle (four hours yesterday), I finally get the complaints, and may be in the Marget for an upgrade.

And about the 650 being a large bike 35 years ago - I totally agree. My roommate's 650 Yamaha seemed huge back in college. I had a 34 year gap in riding myself, with my previous bikes being: 350, 400 and a big 'ol 550-four! I'm having more fun on my V Star than any of them.

16. bluesjr87
    #

Been wondering some more why Yamaha dropped the Classic. Anyone know what the Classic/Silverado vs Custom sales numbers were?

17. mnm24
    #

I'm new to riding, only got my licence a year ago, but so far the 650Classic I own has been faultless. Living in Australia the distances we have to travel are great, so as far as touring goes, for me it's been very comfortable.

I did an 8-day trip last Easter covering about 300 to 500 kms a day with no ill effects. Passing cars and trucks wasn't a problem. We even took it off-road and it handled the ruts and gravel easily.

I have to agree about the seat, though I don't have much to compare it to.. I have a sheep skin cover on it now and that has made a huge difference.. can ride for a coupe of hours now with no numb bum.

The only mods I've made are to fit some V&H Cruizers which have certainly given it a bit more grunt, but plenty of power and torque for me.

Having said all that, ask me again in a year when I have some more kms under the belt!

Matthew.

18. OpaTheRider
    #

For the life of me, I can't understand why Yamaha...

Two reasons, cost and cannibalizing sales from other models. They don't have a six-speed box in their entire line up of cruiser style bikes, and it would cost a fortune to develop a new transmission.

It would also cannibalize sales from higher end models. If one could cruise comfortably all day at 70+ mph on a 650, why would one buy a 1300cc bike with more power?

I also read, somewhere, recently, that Yamaha's motorcycle division lost 2 Billion dollars last year. They no doubt can't afford to keep making the depth of models that they had.

19. Mondj
    #

I initially went to my Yamaha dealer to buy the 650 Classic. I wanted a smaller cruiser to commute about 50 miles a day on two lane highways and maybe short weekend trips. I still feel the 650 would have filled the bill just fine. I hadn't done a lot of research and hadn't even heard of the 950T at the time. I had ridden a friend of mine's 650 and it fit me perfectly.

I have another bike that is more than capable of making cross country trips but I just don't do that any more due to my age and health condition.

The 650 Classic, IMHO, is a great bike and great looking also. The Sales Manager at the dealer is a personal friend of mine and said he felt I would be happier with the 950T. What the hell, he only had one in stock and it wasn't serviced as they don't do test rides. The next thing I know, I was signing the papers on the 950T and I'm certainly not disappointed but the 650 Classic still sticks in my mind and think I would have been just as happy with it. I'm sorry to see it go.

20. Shebhertezz
    #

Well you can still get the Classic in Canada...http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...oup=M|&LANG=en

What is the difference between the Classic and the Custom? I did the online comparison and only diff I could see was the size - length and width.

Reply »

You must log in to post.