Motorcycle Club » Star 1100 Classic & Custom

2009 Exhaust Baffle Removal

10 posts from 7 voices
About This Topic
  1. dtieds
    #

Trying to remove the baffles from my 09. I cut through with the hole saws, but am having a serious issue with knocking out the baffles with a hammer. Any suggestions for making this easier. (I know the easy answer, buy aftermarket pipes! LOL!)

2. vgink18054
    #

from 2006 and up the baffles are flared on the end that goes through the second plate. take a long screwdriver and inlarge the hole right next to the baffle. do this in a couple places around the baffle and it will slip out.

3. yzcoodermac
    #

I used a set of vice grips and clamped them to the baffles then took a screwdriver(large) and tapped on the vice grips with a 2 lb hammer( 2 people required)one person pulling and the other knocking the fire out of the vice grips,It will come out just keep trying. Make sure the baffle is loose you have to wiggle it back and forth till the welds break loose inside the muffler.Good luck, youll like the result.

4. cendrex
    #

Sorry Im going to hijack your thread here to ask a question of my own. Do you have to re-jet when you pull the baffles out? I plan to do mine when the warrenty runs out.

5. JG6
    #

I hole sawed my stock mufflers and removed the baffles by using a long screw driver to enlargen the hole, a couple of wiggles and it came right out. I have put about 500 miles or so on my bike with no rejetting and ais disabled. I love the sound and absolutely no backfiring or popping on decel. My bike is an 08!

6. beaze
    #

I used a vise grip on a slide hammer it took a few good pulls but they came out. I disabled the AIS to stop the back firing I have 2000 miles on it no problems. Why wait do it now

7. cendrex
    #

I used a vise grip on a slide hammer it took a few good pulls but they came out. I disabled the AIS to stop the back firing I have 2000 miles on it no problems. Why wait do it now
    does it not void the warrenty?

8. JG6
    #

All you have to do is search e-bay and buy an extra set of stock pipes, I got mine for 60 bucks and done the mod on them so I didnt mess up my good ones. The pipes I got off of e-bay were in perfect condition so they are still on my bike! I dont see how it could void your warranty! I havent experienced any blueing or the pipes getting too hot. My bike runs just the way it did when I drove it home from the dealership!

9. beaze
    #

I don't know how changing he exhaust would affect the warrenty your not modifing the engine

10. mgzbrz
    #

If something were to go wrong with the engine, and it ended up being targeted at your exhaust you're warranty wouldn't cover that because you modified a stock part. Just as if you swap exhaust you're modifying the factory bike.

-Mike

You must log in to post.