Motorcycle Club » Star 1100 Classic & Custom

2006 & up carb. mods

7 posts from 3 voices
About This Topic
  1. wzdartan
    #

It is my understanding that when adding air kits (specifically pods) to the 2006 and later 1100's, there need to be some additional modifications made to the carb's., beside re jetting and syncronizing (and of course the A.I.S. removed). I beleive I have read that the "o" ring on the primary jet holder should be removed and the jet holder should be ground down. Also the fuel cutoff seleniods should be disabled. And last that a hole would need to be drilled in the fuel channel that is occupied by the fuel cutoff selenoid needles. Has anyone here had the experience of installing one of these pod kits on a newer model bike? and if so, did you have to do the above described carb. mods? Just curious. Thanks!

2. bkman
    #

I think there are two distinct schools of thought on this. I just did the Maxair intake kit on my 2008 and they have a little bug that plugs into the solenoid wires to trick the computer into thinking the solenoids are still there. Then, you simply remove the solenoids completely and replace them with brass plugs. Maxair also calls for the removal of the o-ring on the main jet holder, but they do not require you to grind it down.

The other method involves drilling out the orfice where the solenoid needles normally seat - doing so provides a clear path for fuel flow even when the solenoids are closed. There is also the step of grinding down the main jet holder so that more fuel can flow from the bowl into the main jet orfice.

I can only speak personally about the Maxair system, and I know that it works brilliantly. The other way seems to have many supporters as well, but I was a little more comfortable with the Maxair because it is reversible if I should ever want to go back to stock.

No matter which way you go, though, I would not remove or disable the solenoids if you plan to keep the OEM exhuast in place. I may be incorrect, but I believe that removing the o-ring and grinding the main jet holder also will render the solenoids ineffective. The solenoids are there to protect the catalytic converters in your mufflers from overheating. It has something to do with the rev limiter and, when you hit it, raw fuel being dumped into the exhaust. The solenoids cut the fuel flow just before the rev limiter kicks in so that this doesn't happen. I see that you have Cobra pipes on your bike, so you really don't need the solenoids anymore. You may have to re-jet, though, if you open up the intake.

3. wzdartan
    #

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I have done some reading on this, and was just wondering if anyone had installed the pods without performing the more severe carb mods. What you stated in your post is essentially exactly what I have read. Although I have also read that trying to compensate for the correct a.f.m by installing larger main jets and not doing the "complete" carb. mod.(removing "o" ring, grinding the main jet holder, drilling the selenoid channel and "clipping" the selenoid needle) can cause a lean condition resulting in motor damage. This has supposedly been proven by some folks that have installed pods without the "complete" carb. mods., ran their bikes on a dyno, then resorted to going the "complete" mod. due to extreme lean conditions. I would have to assume that this would indicate that with the '06 and newer carbs, there is somewhat of a restriction in the fuel channeling due to the integration of the fuel shut off selenoids and the modified main jet holder. Well! It's kind of a interesting subject. I think I'm going to sit on the sidelines for a bit and do some more research as to what steps I'll take before I install my pods. I also beleive the '06 and newer bikes rev. limiter is set higher due to the introduction of the newer carb. changes. That's not all bad! Ride safe!

4. tcarl
    #

Try this website: sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ.htm

Also, there are specific bits of information on carbs for later model vstars forums.delphiforums.com/yamaha1100/start

Lots of good info and seems like everyone there is willing to help.

5. bkman
    #

Extreme lean conditions are very bad, and that is why I was so apprehensive about tearing into this. I am by NO MEANS an expert on the subject, but I did a LOT of research before I did any mods on my bike, and this is how I understand that information.

You've already opened up your exhaust by adding an aftermarket exhaust system. That, alone, will lean your mixture out a bit. What you're talking about doing next will lean out your mixture a LOT more, and probably would damage your motor if you ran it that way for very long (although it may not even run with the stock jetting in place and POD filters). This applies to any carburetted bike - not just the newer ones. Ever-tightening emissions regulation has forced engine manufacturers into runnning leaner and leaner mixtures, so the newer bike DO run leaner than older ones did. Re-jetting is usually still necessary, though, when you change the intake and / or exhaust system on any bike. That is where these kits come into play.

If you are like me, and not sure what you're doing, I would recommend buying a turn-key product that is well-researched and packaged with everything you need to do the job right. You don't want to take a chance and get it wrong - there is nothing worse than that (trust me, I know tihs). Kits like the Maxair are expensive, but they work and they have good support if you run into trouble. I don't want to sound like a Maxair commercial because there are other good kits out there, I am sure. I am only speaking from personal experience (with a specific kit) and I know that this specific one works very well. I would only caution you on experimenting with pieces and parts if you are not sure what to do, or if you don't have someone you trust to help you. You might save money that way but, in my opinion, it's too risky.

6. wzdartan
    #

Hey bkman!
    The site tcarl posted to has all of the information in it that I had read about. I agree with you that if you're scared of or not sure of what you are doing, you had better leave it to the pros. It appears that the guys that generated the information on that site have don a quite a bit of legwork. I will probably construct my own pod kit with the materials and instructions they provide on that site. I'll do the "maximum effort" carb mod. rejet and adjust the pms according to their recomendations. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the plugs after a few short runs to see how it appears to be doing, then fine tune as necessary. This project will have to wait untill end of this winter/next spring because I don't really want to dig into my ride time this summer! When I get it completed, I'll let you know how things turn out. Talk to you later! Ride safe.

7. bkman
    #

Cool. Good luck to you, and I understand not wanting to do it right now. The one "problem" living where I do is that there is never really an off-season. You just have to decide to tear into a project and then suffer from withdrawal until it is complete. I have to find and install an engine in my Marauder, and I am going to just have to do it when I can put my hands on the motor. Never mind that it will probably be in the best season for riding

You must log in to post.