Motorcycle Club » The Roadliner/Stratoliners Road

2006 Strat/Roadliner STALL ISSUE FIX

21 posts from 8 voices
About This Topic
  1. mazgetman21
    #

ok so my liner has the famous stall issue (2006). i grew tired of it and decided to do something about it for not only myself but for all of us, so i called yamaha and told them of this problem and explained that this issue could get me and my passanger both killed. after going back and forth on the issue the yamaha rep agreed to pay for 1 hour of shop time to get the problem fixed.

so what i did was i printed this out;

http://www.fxstein.com/blog/index.ph...Id=47&blogId=1

i took the bike into the dealer along with the printout and asked them if they could do the adjustments described in the printout in an hour and i explained that yamaha would cover it and i provided the reps phone number to contact regarding the billing and they said no problem. now my bike idles better and has not stalled since and i did not pay a single penny.

i strongly urge anyone with this issue to contact yamaha ASAP to get this fixed on yamahas dime.

the number i called is 1-800-962-7926 ext# 7126. ask for megan.

do not put this off. doing this could save your life.

if you do this please post your story.

(could this be made a sticky?)

2. FedalEcho
    #

Thanks for the info. I'm glad it worked out. Hopefully no more stalling.

3. mazgetman21
    #

i just hope more people do this.

4. zhifdhabbj6
    #

But, can the issue be corrected without the use of a PC III? The article by FX only stated a cure with an aftermarket controller.

5. mazgetman21
    #

they seemd to have fixed mine and i am stock.

6. PDXScodd
    #

What year Stratoliners does this affect?

Scott T

7. mazgetman21
    #

mainly the 06's. take it in and have it done. it is free!

8. bscarpenter59
    #

I sent you a PM regarding the stalling issue. Your assistance would be appreciated.

9. mazgetman21
    #

I sent you a PM regarding the stalling issue. Your...

i will help any way i can. keep it here in the main thread so others can read what is happening and how to fix it.

10. bscarpenter59
    #

I spoke with Megan Yamaha and she looked up mazgetman21's service records. She called back and said that his dealer re-synched the throttle bodies. That sounds more feasable than the FXStein's fix as I'm not riding at low RPMs at any time when this problem happens. Megan did not offer to cover the re-synch of the throttle bodies under warrantee. Not sure if I can get them to do that. Care to share how you got 'em to pay? Anyone else who recently synched the throttle bodies still have the stalling issue?

11. mazgetman21
    #

I spoke with Megan Yamaha and she looked up...

how did i get her to pay?, i just kept pointing out, over and over, that my wife and i could both be killed by riding a bike with a KNOWN stalling problem unless the issue was taken care of and then i kept asking her what she was going to do to correct the problem. i did not take no for an answer.

12. mazgetman21
    #

let me also add that she denied that there is any documented problem with these bikes having any type of stalling issue therfore it is important that she recieve a barrage of calls with people having this issue so that it becomes documented and fixed or a recall issued. when i posted this i was hoping for more replys and people calling in with this problem but as you can see it is only you and i that are having this problem i guess.

13. bscarpenter59
    #

Thank you mazgetman21. I got the throttle bodies done thanks to Yamaha and found a round brass "stopper" missing from my clutch lever that I replaced posthaste. Have not had a stall in the last 2 weeks. I also obtained a copy of the official tech bulletin from Yamaha so if they say it's not a known issue, you can hand them their own bulletin.

14. nardywill36
    #

ONE OF THE PROBLEMS I MA HAVING IS THAT THE BIKE SHUTS DONE AT 70-75MPH. iT HAS DONE THIS FOUR TIMES. THE FIRST TIME I COULD NOT GET IT TO CRANK IMMEDIATELY AFTER GETTING OFF THE INTERSTATE. APPROXIMATELY 2 HOURS LATER WHILE GETTING IT ON THE TOW TRUCK I TRIED TO START IT AND IT WOULD NOT CRANK. AFTER A 15 MINUTE RIDE TO THE DEALERSHIP AND GETTING IT OFF THE TRUCK IT CRANK UP NO PROBLEM. THE SECOND TIME IT CRANK UP ABOUT 15 MINUTES AFTER I GOT OFF THE INTERSTATE. THE NEXT TWO TIMES IT CRANK UP IMMEDIATELY AFTER GETTING OFF THE ROAD. SO FAR CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS GIVEN THE DEALERSHIP PERMISSION TO RIDE IT AT LEAST AN HOUR.
    tHE OTHER PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS THE RESERVE FUEL LIGHT COMES ON WHEN THE GAS TANK IS FULL. I HAVE ROAD IT 15 MILES MAYBE BEFORE IT COMES ON WITH A FULL TANK OF GAS. I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM AT 34-37 MILES NUMEROUS TIMES. THE FUEL GAUGE WILL GO OVER THE "E" THEN RETURN TO THE CORRECT LEVEL THEN GO BACK TO "E" AND REST THERE.
    HAS ANYONE HAD SIMILIAR PROBLEMS?

15. mazgetman21
    #

ONE OF THE PROBLEMS I MA HAVING IS THAT THE...

this does not sound like it is related to the stalling issueu i was having. this could be an electrical issue perhaps?

16. Hognot58
    #

on another Stratoliner forum it has been found to unplug the wire at the clutch lever. It has something to do with the clutch switch. My bike started popping and some times stall at low speed such as a school zone. I have unplugged the wire and the popping has all but stopped and it has not stalled yet. Time will tell. With the wire unpluged you will not be able to start the bike while in gear and the clutch pulled in.

17. bscarpenter59
    #

I'll be interested to hear the long term effects of having the wire unplugged. My understanding is that the switch doesn't "pop out" when the clutch handle is released causing a malfunction in the ECU. I wonder what happens to the ECU when it thinks that the cluth is never pulled. How long have you had the wire unplugged?

18. Hognot58
    #

I just learned of it the other day. I just ran around town for a few miles. I did alot of slow stop and go traffic. That is when it would stall the most often. If I found a hole in traffic I would run the rpm's up with some hard sifting. It did not pop at all. I don't know if it will hurt anything. I do know that stalling can get me hurt

19. mazgetman21
    #

post up some photos of the switch and the wire you removed if you can. my question is how would that stop the bike from popping?

20. Hognot58
    #

It is pretty simple. It is the only wire going to the clutch lever. Just unclip it. Why it works I don't know. Check out the Stratoliner forum on delphi.

Reply »

You must log in to post.