Motorcycle Club » Star 1100 Classic & Custom

2005 Vstar 1100 Classis (Backfiring)

6 posts from 6 voices
About This Topic
  1. yomcqueen
    #

Need some advice! I previously added Roadhouse slip-ons and disable the AIS. Everything was fine. My bike has been setting for about a month and when I rode it the last time it had alot of backfiring it previously did not have, but it was rideable. Since then, I completely removed the AIS and started the engine. It was hard to get it to idle (Using the choke) and now it really backfires like crazy. I have changed the plugs. I have read info on gas going bad. I have added fresh gas. I plan to drain the tank and to try some seafoam to see if helps. Any other advise?

2. quicgmicg
    #

Need some advice! I previously added Roadhouse slip-ons and disable the AIS. Everything was fine. My bike has been setting for about a month and when I rode it the last time it had alot of backfiring it previously did not have, but it was rideable. Since then, I completely removed the AIS and started the engine. It was hard to get it to idle (Using the choke) and now it really backfires like crazy. I have changed the plugs. I have read info on gas going bad. I have added fresh gas. I plan to drain the tank and to try some seafoam to see if helps. Any other advise?
    I'd get some ethanol fuel stabilizer or Seafoam and add it every time you fill up. Letting a bike sit for that long is not good without taking care of the fuel. The new gas blends we are getting now do not last very long..maybe a week...before they start breaking down...so take care of it when you put it in.

I'd try to get rid of all the gas in the tank....dump it in your car and get all fresh in the tank. Put is a good dose of Seafoam and put a few hundred miles on it. I'd also check for exhaust/intake leaks.

3. wzdartemon
    #

Mate ive gone thru the pain you have.Have you cheched for exhaust leaks?
    Syncing the carbs is your first port of call,then pms setting and jets.For 12 months i went thru that.
    Even with slippons I would RECCOMEND SYNCING THE CARBS.
    Mine was fine till I originally went from stock to slippons...

4. CruizerBruizer
    #

Did you rejet your carbs when you installed the new pipes? Not sure if you have to with slip-on.

hWhen I got my bike the previous owner installed Shogun Ripsaws but didn't rejet the carbs...check the manual for exactly what needs to be done. I had lots of mostly popping but some backfires that went away when I had it rejetted. Check with your friendly local bike shop for particulars, too, if you don't have a service manual.

The Sea Foam never hurts, either.

I've also had a Yamaha service manager tell me that with the ethanol and additives they have to add for pollution purposes here in North Texas that the gas will start degrading and gumming up jets in as little as a week, which makes the Sea Foam more important.

Good luck. Ride safe, watch out or cagers on cell phones, and thank The Man Upstairs for every safe ride.

5. Mige
    #

I have Roadhouse slip-ons on my bike also. The backfiring got worse and worse over time and wouldn't hold an idle. I knew the jets needed to be changed. I ended up putting on the Maxair kit at the same time. When I pulled off the carbs they were very varnished inside from the bike sitting around with gas in the carbs. I used some Yamaha carb cleaner to clean them. After cleaning and rejetting my backfiring went away completely. With the Maxair I also have the benefit of extra HP. The bike rides good now with power it didn't have before.

6. zhinjziteub
    #

just changing the gas doesnt always help. if it has already gummed up, you might have to pull the carb and get it out with some pipe cleaners. i know when i did mine, i changed the fuel and air jets, it took a couple of tries before i got them set to acceptable levels. it still pops a little when i hold a steady throttle or on deceleration. but when i check the plugs, they are both looking perfect. funny thing is i put some cobra slip ons on and a kuryakyn hypercharger, and im actually getting better gas mileage. i think the best ive logged was about 65 mpg. i was surprised and thought something was wrong, but then again, if something was wrong, i shoulda ran out of gas a long time ago.

You must log in to post.