Motorcycle Club » Star 650 Classic & Custom

2 part question guys

9 posts from 3 voices
About This Topic
  1. jeahuhh48
    #

whats up everyone, i just got back and i picked up cobra pipes and pre jetted carbs plus drag bars.........
    no my bike is already torn down as far as all of the painted parts cause i am in the middle of painting it so the tank headlight and fenders are out of the way so here are my questions:

1 is there anything i should know about any of this install like any tricks or things to watchout for, keep in mind i build cars everyday so im no stranger to turning wrenches by any means just a lil new in the bike world

2 the carbs are jetted to run with a hypercharger the guy said that i shouldnt really run my bike with the stock air cleaner but if i had to i could i would just have to leave the cover off, so is this true and i was looking at the hypercharges and they are like $300 considering all of this stuff i just bought i was wondering if anybody had a used one?

thanks in advance guys

2. Ravhite
    #

whats up everyone, i just got back and i picked up cobra pipes and pre jetted carbs plus drag bars.........no my bike is already torn down as far as all of the painted parts cause i am in the middle of painting it so the tank headlight and fenders are out of the way so here are my questions:1 is there anything i should know about any of this install like any tricks or things to watchout for, keep in mind i build cars everyday so im no stranger to turning wrenches by any means just a lil new in the bike world2 the carbs are jetted to run with a hypercharger the guy said that i shouldnt really run my bike with the stock air cleaner but if i had to i could i would just have to leave the cover off, so is this true and i was looking at the hypercharges and they are like $300 considering all of this stuff i just bought i was wondering if anybody had a used one?thanks in advance guys

I think you'll do fine with the tins but I do have some comments about the carb situation.

I have installed and run HC's on 650's 1100's and 1700's and have always had to go back into the carbs to fine tune each and every time. The jetting has been changed on this bike and the only way to check it is to run and ride it, there is no other way to do it. The HC is a fine air box but it requires a bit of fine tuning to get the most from it and that requires reading the plugs across the band to ensure that you are at the proper AF ratio across that band.

Would I ride it? Given the circumstances I would have to, the AF/plug test must be performed. My ride decision would be based on that outcome. BTW, I would not ride without the cover on the stock filter, it is not designed for open air performance...........Well there my .02 worth, I look forward to pictures of the new paint.

3. MigejCojode
    #

First off listen to Ravhite, he knows his stuff and has yet to steer me wrong.

What kind pipes did your get? most Cobra's are slip ons so minimal rejetting, if any, is required. Do Not Go with the Hypercharger jet settings! Unless that is you put a Hypercharger or BAK / GAK on it you will be running way to rich.

You have to remember that a motor is an air pump. You've given the air a freer way to leave the pump but you are still hampered by the restrictive intake. Here are a few options going from cheapest and least power increase to the more expensive:

650ccnd.com
    650ccnd.com
    650ccnd.com

The Hypercharger is still the most effective way to gain HP. Don't ask me how it works better than the GAK but it does. I have a Hypercharger on 2 of the 3 650's I work on.

Here is a link to the jet settings taken from an average of what some people have used:

650ccnd.com

Taken from this chart:

650ccnd.com

If you decide to go with the GAK give this guy a call: zivney.net He can get you the best price a non K&N kit plus the specific jets you need. Call him tho, he is a little computer challenged at times, he is a super nice guy.

There are lots of sites on the net WRT the XVS 650 but the ones I just sent you are the best I have found. Another place to look is stargis.net This is another very nice fella, he did alot of work on the previous site and knows is stuff as well.

Oh and if you decide on a Hypercharger go to thunder mfg Their bracket and install kit is much better than Kury's the Hypercharger is the same and it all comes out to cheaper.

Now that I have given you about 3 hours of surfing to do have fun and good luck.

4. jeahuhh48
    #

thanks guys yeah im not sure which cobra pipes they are but i know they are not shorties and they are very small, the bike this came off had these pipes and the HC so the carbs were jetted accordingly the guy said he had to make numerous trips to get it right so thats why im thinkin that all i have to do is get a HC and then i shouldnt have any prob...............................right? lol still very new to the bike world

5. jeahuhh48
    #

thanks guys, just to give you all an update i installed the pipes and the drag bars the bike looks sick!!, as far as the carbs go i was installing them and then i noticed that the carbs i got did not have these 2 sencors on the side like mine did so im guessing this came off an older one prob a pre 03 bike so i sent out my carbs and im having them jetted for just the pipes and ill run the stock air cleaner for now to save money

lemme know what you think......

as far as the outside goes i should be painting the parts this weekend so i can put it together on sunday the paint i am going with is that color that is on the frame and the motor its kind of like a flat dark gunmetal, ill be painting the tank and the fenders along with the headlight bezel, ive already painted my air cleaner in an effort to try to match the color and i feel its pretty close so i think it will look pretty cool

lol again lemme know what you think......

6. jeahuhh48
    #

pics after its all done

7. jeahuhh48
    #

few more, the last one is me and my dads

8. MigejCojode
    #

Looks good. How does it run? Little bit more of a kick in the butt off the line?

9. jeahuhh48
    #

yeah deffruns alot better, i wanna save up for the HC and another rejet next

You must log in to post.