Motorcycle Club » Star 1300

1300 vs. the 1100, old 1100 riders speak up

23 posts from 18 voices
About This Topic
  1. modormanmige
    #

Besides the new technology of the 1300 having fuel injection, a radiator, and a belt what does the 1300 have in power and highway comfort over the 1100? I am looking to move up from the 650, and plan on doing quite a bit of two up highway riding plus the backroad twisties. Looking for enough bike, but not an overkill. Anybody have first hand experience about this?

2. MorkKW
    #

There's almost no comparison between the 1100 and 1300. Everything the 1100 does, the 1300 does much better. The 1300, although a larger bike, is better balanced, handles better around town and, especially, on the highway, and has much more power to spare. It's even already been reported that the new 950, because of its new technology, out performs the 1100 on the highway. Once you've completed your research, you'll have all of the answers you'll need to make the right and better choice for you.

Stay well.
    Morg

3. cole2273
    #

I have both and the 1300 (IMO) is a much better bike. the degree of the motor is also different, and they added a duel counter balance making this one of the smoothest motors ever built. (not that the 1100 was bad)
    but the power of the 1300 is much greater. and I am not a big fan of shaft drive bikes. to me they tend to get squirrely loose in the back side under power, not as bad in the 650 because of the power to weight. but in larger bikes like the VTX 1800 I didn't care for it at all. it seems that the belt drive is more straight line power and the shaft has more centrifugal force because the direction the shaft spins vs the direction the wheels spin. once more this is just my opinion. and I feel I should be able to voice it because I own both. in no way am i saying the 1100 is a bad bike. I'm just saying that they wouldn't reinvent the wheel. so by making the 1300 it should have put the nails in the coffin for the 1100 as well the 950 should end the life for the 650. there will be something's the you may like about the 1100 over the 1300 or just the opposite, the thing that I like the most about the 1300 over the 1100 is that the oil filter is very easy to access. and the 1100 you have to remove the pipes and or buy a relocator for good money so you only have to remove the pipes once. the other is they did away with the fuel reserve valve and added a bigger tank and a gas light with a digital mileage countdown when you have about one gallon of fuel left. I am a bigger rider so I feel more comfortable on the 1300 it has a wider stance and its a little more stable in the suspension area. the worst part of the 1300 is at this time there is very little for add ons but that should change soon (I HOPE). as far as the tires go. they are the same and they both suck. the dunlop 404s are one of the worst tires ever made. the 401 and 402s that you find on some Harley's are made in the USA and are a good tire. they also weight about three times as much as our 404s that are made in china and have very bad reviews. sorry if I got carried away with this but I hope it helps out. no matter what anyone says you just get the bike that fits YOU... style and performance and coming off the 650 I think you would be happy with ether bike on the hwy, the 650 seems like it needs one more gear and alot more power. as its easy to out grow the 650 if you put on a lot of miles each year.

4. bolxc5
    #

I rode both when I bought mine and it's the 1300 hands down. The 1300 feels much more powerful than the 1100 and I thought the ride was much better.

5. Lucgj574
    #

I rode an 1100 Classic for three years before I sold it and got my 1300.

Let me put it this way - if you get the 1100, do yourself a favor and never get on the 1300 because once you do you'll never again be satisfied with your 1100. That's what happened to me - I was happy with my 1100 until I took a test ride on the 1300.

The 1300 has "only" 200 cc's more but due to the superior technology it feels like twice the power. It accelerates and cruises effortlessly compared to the 1100.

But to me there is even a bigger difference in handling. The 1300 is the sweetest handling cruiser I've ever ridden. The center of gravity feels much lower and it corners with ease. I have friends with 1100's and every once in a while I take a spin on one and it always reminds me how happy I am to climb back on my 1300.

This is coming from a guy who never had a single complaint about my 1100. I think you could put a bullet through the 1100's motor and it would still run. Also, there are probably more accessories on the market for the 1100 than any other bike. It's the Chevy of cruisers.

Bottom Line - if you can spend the extra bucks for the 1300, ride both and pick the one you like which will probably be the 1300. If you can't afford the extra bucks, get the 1100 and do NOT test ride the 1300!

6. chaser38
    #

but the power of the 1300 is much greater. and I am not a big fan of shaft drive bikes. to me they tend to get squirrely loose in the back side under power, not as bad in the 650 because of the power to weight. but in larger bikes like the VTX 1800 I didn't care for it at all.

I'm not sure if you meant this, but the 1300 is belt final drive. (were you talking about the 1100?)

My 2 centavos: The 1300 is smooth, powerful and (for the most part) trouble-free. Fuel injected. Liquid cooled.

Chicks dig it, too.

7. Lucgj574
    #

Chicks dig it, too.
    And that's all that really matters! Like the rest of you guys, chicks have been hanging all over me ever since I started riding my 1300!

8. SHADOWDOG119
    #

Cadillac vs Citation

You will NEVER regret spending the few extra $$.

9. roukhriter8
    #

I talked to the dealer here the other day about the 950,1100,1300. He told me he was not going to buy any 1100s this year and when the 950 comes full swing hes not gonna buy that many 650s. He said he could get them if you wanted but he is just not gonna keep them in the showroom.

10. wzdar6
    #

Thanks guys for the warning. I promise to never get on a 1300. I really like my 1100. I don't know exactly what it was but the looks of the 1100 called to me over the 1300. I'm glad to hear good things about the 1300 it only seems a few months back that all I read was complaints about the clunk in the front forks and how the bars caused shoulder pain.

11. Driwetapisnezz
    #

Thanks guys for the warning. I promise to never get on a 1300. I really like my 1100. I don't know exactly what it was but the looks of the 1100 called to me over the 1300. I'm glad to hear good things about the 1300 it only seems a few months back that all I read was complaints about the clunk in the front forks and how the bars caused shoulder pain.
    My Dad owns two 1100's and he likes them a lot. I think they look much more "Harley-ish". I've driven them and I really prefer my 1300 for all the reasons other people mention.

One item that I didn't see mentioned is the gearing. 5th gear on the 1300 is more of an overdrive so higher speed freeway riding is at a much lower rpm.

I also scrape floorboards a lot less on my 1300 than I do the pegs on my Dad's bikes - and I can drive the 1300 much more agressively.

Just my 2 cents

DDB

12. cole2273
    #

but the power of the 1300 is much greater. and I am not a big fan of shaft drive bikes. to me they tend to get squirrely loose in the back side under power, not as bad in the 650 because of the power to weight. but in larger bikes like the VTX 1800 I didn't care for it at all. I'm not sure if you meant this, but the 1300 is belt final drive. (were you talking about the 1100?) My 2 centavos: The 1300 is smooth, powerful and (for the most part) trouble-free. Fuel injected. Liquid cooled. Chicks dig it, too.
    I was talking about the 1100, you might have just misread it. or I typed it wrong.

13. chaser38
    #

It's me. Sorry.

14. canatawzdar
    #

I have had both, I have the 1300 right now. Both great bikes!!! 1300 is much nicer on the highway thats for sure. Its RPMs are much lower at highway speeds. The 1300 is also much more stable and feels glued to the road on the highway. But I must admit, I do like the looks of the 1100 better, and you got to love the maint free shaft drive.

15. diker1095
    #

My first preference for my new bike was an 1100. I too thought it was Harley looking. After I got my license, I took the 1100 for a test ride and thought "Wow, this is a nice bike, a little turbulent with the windshield, but nice."

Went back to the dealership and the salesman said take the 1300 for a ride. A little bigger and belt drive. Got on headed out and came back 5 hours later. (I called the dealership and told them what had happened) I enjoyed the ride so much, I had to keep going. It was amazing. Smooth powerful and sharp looking. On and big enough to handle future riders on the highway.

Nearly two years later, I know I made the right choice. I recently added new RSTD handle bars to help with the pain. Awesome change. I am 5-10 to 5-11 and this was the perfect addition.

Good luck with your decision. This bike is awesome.

Rob

16. yage
    #

I bought an 1100 as the 1300 had not come out yet. Four months later the 1300 came out and as others have said...I got on one and traded my 1100 in on it after only 4 months. They are like night and day for the ride, handling and power.

Like others have said, there are A LOT more after market parts for the 1100 right now; however, the 1300 list has grown a lot over the last 1-2 years. If the money differance is a non-issue, go for the 1300, you won't regret it...yage

17. ylzhooder
    #

I'll share the advice given to me when I was looking. Buy the biggest bike you can afford.

18. chaser38
    #

I wonder if this question were posed on the 1100 forum...would riders be saying: I owned the 1300 and traded it as soon as I rode the 1100.

Just askin'.

19. JuzdSdewe
    #

I kinda doubt it, Chaz.
    After having my 1300 for about one 6 months or so, I rode a buds 650 star. (Im sure EVERYONE read that post. plenty of flamage, etc, etc).
    Not even in the same LEAGUE as the 1300. Granted, this was JUST a little 650, but basically same bike as 1100. (just like my previous 700 virago was almost exactly the same as the 1100 versions). (ridden all those too. ).

But again, I don't think anyone would downgrade from the 1300 to anything.

I know myself , if I EVER bought another bike, it'd ONLY be after momma decided NOT to ever ride double with me EVER again, and THEN it'd be a raider!!!!! (and I"d never EVER be home again)....................

20. kman
    #

I have never heard of anyone that downgraded from a larger bike to a smaller bike, but there are so many examples of riders moving up. If you buy an 1100 you will probably want to upgrade within a few months so just do it now.

Reply »

You must log in to post.