Motorcycle Club » General Forum

112 to food poisoning

9 posts from 6 voices
About This Topic
  1. BikRet
    #

Well this past Tuesday, the rain finally let up and I got to hit the road with my dad for the first time in over a year. Road down US 27 through the Miccosukee Indian Reservation, and ended up somehwere around Kendall, Fl. It was a nice open road, a few cars here and there, mostly staightaways. It was the first long ride I took since doing the j-slam and seat mod and adding the highway bars. After the first 60 miles I started to get a little numb butt, but the overall ride was good, feet on the highway pegs, leaning back and just cruising along.

I tried to find a small diner to have lunch at but had no luck, instead I broke my rule and we stopped at Burger King. I don't eat fast food often and when I do its a quick lunch at work and that's it. So we sit down and eat and the food wasn't "bad", saddle up and sart heading home. It was a great ride, I had been looking forward to it for quite some time now.

We got home and everyone was at the pool so we head over that way. I ended laying back in one of the chairs and falling asleep in the shade, I slept for 2 hours and when I woke up I felt like I got hit by a truck. Every time I burped (which is unusual for me unless I'm drinking) it tasted like bad eggs, I had this happen once or twice in the past but never thought anything of it. I went to bed around 11 and at midnight it all hit me, I was in the bathroom so often I threw towels on the floor and slept in there.

I think I kicked it after sleeping for 19 hours, waking for 6 then sleeping another 8. Lesson learned fast food = bad food. I figured it had to be that since I have eaten the same thing everyone else has been eating since Saturday. I am feeling better and now I'm ready to get back in the saddle again. Problem is I don't really feel like going back to work tomorrow.

2. yhennlj
    #

I'm glad to hear you had a nice ride, sorry to hear about you getting sick. There are certain places I will not eat at because of that very reason. I have also developed a habit of always checking the health score before I order.Sometimes though, if I have had an experience like you just had, I simply avoid the place no matter how clean it appears.

3. BikRet
    #

Yeah man I thought I was building up my immune system my whole life, but I guess its no match for the king. I've always been real big on watching where I eat, call me picky but if I see the cook and they are not up to par I walk out. All those years of being a line cook makes me very wary of who is making my food. Pity some of the best food comes from the dirtiest places.

Sunday I am hitting the Tamiami Trail, that was my original destination Tues. but I rode ride past the interchange. It's supposed to be a real nice ride, just gotta remember the camera this time.

4. BuppaKahuna
    #

Could have been the ice cubes in your drink too. They're made from local city tap water at almost all restaurants. There are a lot of places with all kinds of crawlies in the water that will kick your guts into serious void-overdrive.

As bad as fast food is (for any number of reasons), one rule is that if your food came out of boiling oil it's probably safer to eat than a dirty salad or less than fresh eggs. Maybe not better for you nutritionally, but a better 'microbial bet'. If you tasted bad eggs when you burped, I'd think something with sulfur or phosphorus in it was the problem. What kind of drink did you have?

Hope you're feeling better.

5. popper19
    #

If fast food isn't something you eat regularly, it can reek havoc on your guts, just from the change. I very VERY rarely eat fast food, and it seems like any time I do, I feel sick for the rest of the day.

6. BikRet
    #

Could have been the ice cubes in your drink too....

Dr Pepper is my usual drink anytime I go out to eat, I'm back to work today and miserable, no work = no money. But at least I can be up and moving around, now it's just waiting for Sunday to roll around so I can get back on the road again.

7. DennisM
    #

Yeah man I thought I was building up my immune...

When I lived in Miami, I used to run the Tamiami trail all the time, alll the way to the west coast, Every now and then we would not start heading back unitl night fall.

A few times we ran into some rather large gators laying across the middle of the road, ever jump a gator? I have seen it done once and it didn't turn out so well with the idiot I saw try to do it.

Iv'e also almost hit a few deer and a couple of armadillos later at night on the same stretch of highway.

Still a nice ride when you dont run into idiots passing or racing each other in their cages.

BTW, I havent seen my old Home town of Miami or the trail since 91
    post some shots if you can I wonder how much it has changed over the years.

8. BikRet
    #

I will definitely posting pics hopefully Sunday if not then Tuesday.

9. Suzhipiger
    #

I'm from Ft. Myers/Cape Coral. Just stop, you're making me homesick.

You must log in to post.