Motorcycle Club » Star 1100 Classic & Custom

1100 tach?

23 posts from 11 voices
About This Topic
  1. quinnyim
    #

I would really like a tach on my 1100. Has anyone put one of these on their bike? Is it easy to do?

2. tawetean842
    #

No, but been thinking about it. Baron's Customs has some nice units that claim to be plug and play.

3. einzdan
    #

Previous owner of my '05 1100 Classic put different risers on. This caught my eye, if I ever change back to stock risers. I don't know about the install, but can't imagine it being that difficult.

pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/yamaha_risers_pro_one.htm

Good Luck in your quest!

4. adomzdvinz
    #

I just put a Stainless steel Drag Specialties tach on mine. Mounts on the bar between the risers and looks great. Not quite as nice as the Baron's, but 1/3 the money. Connections were easy, 4 wires to ignition, coil, and ground.

5. quinnyim
    #

Previous owner of my '05 1100 Classic put different risers on. This caught my eye, if I ever change back to stock risers.
    I have custom risers too......that may be a problem.

6. DocHolitaj34
    #

About two years ago I order the tach in the link einzdan provide, I went with the OEM riser tach, smooth with the black face. It came with everything I needed, was fairly simple and straight forward, if you are mechanically/electrically inclined at the least you shouldn't have any problems. Oh, and also I love that tach, it works great, weather proof, no complaints at all.

Ride Safe,
    Doc

7. quicgmicg
    #

I would really like a tach on my 1100. Has anyone put one of these on their bike? Is it easy to do?
    I could never get past the price. I've seen some guys use a small digital tach and make a mount....and get it done for about $40-$50. I've been riding it now for 4 years and have figured out that if I hit the rev limiter...I shift... other than that.,...I'm OK.... It's certainly not like riding a sport bike.

8. adomzdvinz
    #

Here is how mine turned out. The tach was $70, the chrome allen bolt was $3, and the red nail polish for the bulb was free.

9. quinnyim
    #

Here is how mine turned out. The tach was $70, the chrome allen bolt was $3, and the red nail polish for the bulb was free.
    That looks pretty cool. I saw an aftermarket tach on youtube....but it was really shaky and it bounced all over. Is yours smooth and accurate?

10. quinnyim
    #

I could never get past the price. I've seen some guys use a small digital tach and make a mount....and get it done for about $40-$50. I've been riding it now for 4 years and have figured out that if I hit the rev limiter...I shift... other than that.,...I'm OK.... It's certainly not like riding a sport bike.
    I have never hit the rev limiter. What does the bike do when you hit it?

11. adomzdvinz
    #

It is perfectly smooth. I am not sure about accuracy, but it seems right. I installed a Dyna ingnition box and set the limiter at 7000, and that is what the tach went to before it cut out. Not that I plan on hitting the limiter that often now...

12. quinnyim
    #

I found this on ebay.....does anyone know if it will work on a 2002 Vstar 1100?

The guy selling it does not know.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230369135685

13. piknumper1
    #

The drag specialties tachs are not bike specific. However, they might make different ones for standard vs metric bikes.

14. adomzdvinz
    #

That is the same tach I have, just with a white face.

15. quinnyim
    #

That is the same tach I have, just with a white face.
    Thanks!

I just bought it for $41.00.

16. tawetean842
    #

I have never hit the rev limiter. What does the bike do when you hit it?
    It runs like SH#T

17. Biktavks
    #

Ok. Fairly new to all this stuff. What the hell is a rev limiter? Excuse my ignorance. Also, without a tach, are there any guidlines as far as speed that co ordinates with what gear you should be in? I mean ive had my 2001 1100 classic for a couple of months now and things are great. But i would like to know if ideally im shifting too early or too late. Should i be winding it out a bit more or a bit less? Never any gaurantees, im sure but wondering if there is any rules of thumb when it comes to shifting. Thx.

18. quinnyim
    #

Ok. Fairly new to all this stuff. What the hell is a rev limiter? Excuse my ignorance. Also, without a tach, are there any guidlines as far as speed that co ordinates with what gear you should be in? I mean ive had my 2001 1100 classic for a couple of months now and things are great. But i would like to know if ideally im shifting too early or too late. Should i be winding it out a bit more or a bit less? Never any gaurantees, im sure but wondering if there is any rules of thumb when it comes to shifting. Thx.
    The rev limiter is installed so that you can't "over-rev" the engine. On the 1100 it kicks in just over 6000 rpm. You will know when you hit it by the sound of the engine (it changes to a pulsating, rapid revving).

The 1100 is turning at about 2750 rpm's at 55mph in 5th gear. If you bring it right up to the rev limiter, you can hit 55 in 2nd gear.

The book has you shifting at very low speeds. I don't know anyone who shifts like Yamaha recommends. Most guys just shift when it "feels right".

19. quicgmicg
    #

I found this on ebay.....does anyone know if it will work on a 2002 Vstar 1100?The guy selling it does not know.cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230369135685
    I think the only difference in bike tachs is whether the bike is single fire or dual fire........I believe the 1100's are a dual fire set up.

20. ironi626
    #

I'm in no way an expert, but I find that after a while you become accustomed to the way your bike feels and what it "likes". I generally aim for the smoothest shift. If every shift is a pronounced physical jerk, you're probably over-revving it. Speed-wise, I roughly stick to 1 gear per 10 mph (so you're in 2nd at 20, in 3rd at 30, 4th at 40...). So far, the bike seems ok with it.

Reply »

You must log in to post.