Motorcycle Club » Star 1100 Classic & Custom

1100 classic bullet proof yes or no?

20 posts from 15 voices
About This Topic
  1. jamahanudd
    #

thanks to this forum i fixed my bike, running like new again.first mechanical elec.problem in 10 years of use 27k miles later is that bullet proof or what?replaced regulator rectifier and running like new again,i love my yamaha.i have lots of friends and riding buddies with harleys their always messing with me about when im gonna upgrade to a real bike.i tell them ill upgrade to a harley when my vstar dies,(never)ha ha ha.heres a few pics ofr my baby.the other yamaha is my wave runner vx110 deluxe i love yamahas.

2. fiwezdrinkmatnezz
    #

Yep. Bulletproof is about right. I've got over 30k on my '05 and it still runs like new (better, in fact). It's been abused, overworked, run outta gas, late on a couple oil changes, hot, cold and even wrecked once (parking lot accident- I wasn't on it) and the damn thing won't give up! When am I gonna upgrade? I don't think I can!

3. poppj
    #

mine has been bullet proof....2005....23,000 miles....it is the best.

4. zoc47408
    #

jamahanudd,
    Thanks for sharing and glad you got that electrical problem handled!
    My V Star is only three years old with 12K, but no issues at all
    I also ride with HD owners and get my share of ribbing too, but I do not have to add oil everytime I stop on long rides! :-)
    Nice pics of the scooter, BTW!

5. zhinjziteub
    #

i had 36k on the clock when my starter clutch went out. i hear a couple of other guys have had the same problem. its anywhere between about 550 and 850 if you do it yourself, but its a job. once you do it once, you'll be proud of yourself!!! its not too fun, but if you guys ever run into the problem, i have all the tech info, even some stuff that isnt in our factory repair manuals. it makes the job a lot easier. i think i posted it somewhere in here too. good to know you guys are running problem free, keep the shiny side up

6. ypz1067
    #

Are you saying it's between $550.00 and $850.00 to replace the starter clutch?

Jim

7. poppj
    #

i had 36k on the clock when my starter clutch went out. i hear a couple of other guys have had the same problem. its anywhere between about 550 and 850 if you do it yourself, but its a job. once you do it once, you'll be proud of yourself!!! its not too fun, but if you guys ever run into the problem, i have all the tech info, even some stuff that isnt in our factory repair manuals. it makes the job a lot easier. i think i posted it somewhere in here too. good to know you guys are running problem free, keep the shiny side up
    i would think if you did it yourself it would be well under $500.

8. Shebhertezz
    #

Beautiful bike! And I really like the colours!

9. vakonman
    #

Are you saying it's between $550.00 and $850.00 to replace the starter clutch? Jim
    I had the starter clutch replace in my '06 1100 about a year ago. The parts were a bit more than $650.00 CAD. Add labor costs to that if you don't perform the work yourself. Not cheap!

10. quicgmicg
    #

of course they're bullet proof....

11. LiddleBen
    #

The starter clutch would be the weak link here. I have an 03 with 38K and still going strong. I had an 01 and sold her last summer. Just didn't need two bikes anymore. Can only ride one at a time anyway. Yep they are pretty much Bullet proof. Wouldn't give my Baby up for 2 Harleys. all though she only has 1100 cc to thier 1300. I surely do love My Yammi.,L.B.

12. Sduplyumbr
    #

I have only 12ks on my 01, but I put on 6k's in a year and a half. They are a great bike no question.

13. 1CuzdominFL
    #

I did my starter clutch last summer for around $400 when it was all said and done. And as far as being bullet-proof, it's an 02 with 91,500 miles, and I still hold 2nd gear to 55 from time to time.

14. jkd4
    #

Depends on the year for the starter clutch. The early ones have updated parts and the sub-rotor is (at) 700 just for it and there are more parts involved. The newer ones are a lot cheaper to fix though.

15. quicgmicg
    #

Depends on the year for the starter clutch. The early ones have updated parts and the sub-rotor is (at) 700 just for it and there are more parts involved. The newer ones are a lot cheaper to fix though.
    I'd never heard of that. Which parts are updated on the older models?

16. kzdar37
    #

I've had continuing electrical troubles with mine. I bought it used about two years ago (its an '02 model) and I've already replaced two Reg/Rec units, had to replace the stator connector (rotted out). Had the bike completely short out after a rain storm too...wouldn't turn over at all and the electrical system went nuts as soon as I hit the start button...

Don't get me wrong, I love this bike. when its running right its a great bike and a really comfortable ride but these electrical problems are really annoying. When I can, I'm likely going to upgrade to an RSTD or perhaps the Voyager...

17. enolz2
    #

26k on my 07, hard to start when hot, thinkin honda!!!!!!!!

18. jkd4
    #

The gear the starter clutch locks on and the idler gear. I called Yamaha to see if you needed all the parts and they said you do but I am not sure. My 99 is on its way out and I dont have the money for the parts so I may see what can get away without replacing

19. LiddleBen
    #

Well I haven't shot one to see, But I would say overall very close to it. I had 2 of these bikes at one time I sold the one I didn't need and still have an 03 Classic it now has 40,000 miles and Runs great all I have done to it other than some engine mods is perform routine maintenance.,L.B.

20. quicgmicg
    #

Here is a link to the KB, guys with real world experience with the situation and how to avoid it.

sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-08.htm#Starter

Included is a list of parts that are needed to do the job. Don't scrimp here unless you want to do it again. It's not a fun job to do. But, in all, these parts are maybe a total of $450 or so....

You must log in to post.