Motorcycle Club » Star 650 Classic & Custom

10 day east coast trip on the 650 - Leaving Thursday - Woo hoo

13 posts from 11 voices
About This Topic
  1. ttale
    #

So leaving this Thursday morning for the first bike trip on the 650.

Live in S/W Ontario and will be travelling east through New York, Vermont, Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island. Then coming back through Quebec and Ontario.

Have a day of rest schedule on Cape Breton Island so going to do some whale watching and hoping to hit Glace Bay to go on the coal mine tour.

Not expecting any difficulties with the bike and the only thing I'm even remotely concerned with is how to handle a flat if I get one. My understanding is that I'm pretty much pooched and that any of the roadside repair kits just aren't going to work with the spoked wheels.

Should be a blast. Going to be covering close to 6,000KM so we'll see how the arse feels when I get home.

650 is turning out to be a GREAT machine. Just wish it had about 40 more HP :-)

Darryl

2. retzdaret
    #

Your going to have a blast. Yes, with an inter tube, you can not just plug your tire, so get help getting it to a shop and have them replace the inter tube if you get a flat.

3. Heatlikhd
    #

It seems to me that a slow leak is more likely than a blowout. I carry a small air compressor with alligator clips to hook to the battery. I figure if I can get enough air in the tire to make it five miles before I have to refill it, that's a lot better than sitting on the side of the road somewhere. The compressor is so small that it fits in the storage compartment under the tank on a 650, so I always have it with me. I only had to use it once - I came out from work and had a flat, but I got home after pumping up the tire.

4. Jorke
    #

Hey ttale good luck and have lots of fun. Ride Safe and keep the camera handy .

5. 4SilwerXVS267A
    #

Take care ttale hope it's a blast and that you have lots of fun. :-)

6. TerrjB
    #

Good luck on your trip and hope it turns out great.

I am little concerned about being stranded on the side of the road. I joined American motorcycle assoication and do not have to worry anymore

I think it cost $37 for a year and includes road side assistance. My wife is automatically covered as well with no addional charge. Plus if you sign up online like I did, you print out a temporary card that you can take with you right away.

Be safe and have fun

7. EazdVekaz
    #

Sounds like a great time, be safe and keep the rubber on the road

8. girgnt1zbt
    #

Sounds like fun, hope you have a great time!

9. 1BlueGhozd
    #

So leaving this Thursday morning for the first bike trip on the 650.Live in S/W Ontario and will be travelling east through New York, Vermont, Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island. Then coming back through Quebec and Ontario.Have a day of rest schedule on Cape Breton Island so going to do some whale watching and hoping to hit Glace Bay to go on the coal mine tour.Not expecting any difficulties with the bike and the only thing I'm even remotely concerned with is how to handle a flat if I get one. My understanding is that I'm pretty much pooched and that any of the roadside repair kits just aren't going to work with the spoked wheels.Should be a blast. Going to be covering close to 6,000KM so we'll see how the arse feels when I get home.650 is turning out to be a GREAT machine. Just wish it had about 40 more HP :-)Darryl
    Have a Good/Safe trip!!
    If you are taking RT2 through Maine, you will be driving through our town.
    Hopefully the rain will be gone by the time you arrive.

10. ttale
    #

We're picking up RT2 just south of Jefferson and following it all the way over to Newport where we pick up 95 into Bangor.

Nice road to drive? Tried to stay off the interstates.

Darryl

Have a Good/Safe trip!!If you are taking RT2 through Maine, you will be driving through our town.Hopefully the rain will be gone by the time you arrive.

11. viltirizhman
    #

Hey Good luck and take some pics, this sounds like a blast. I leave on Thursday as well, heading to a rally in Johnson City, TN. A mere 200 miles from here but still looking forward to it! Take care and write or journal as you experience the ride. Be safe

12. 1BlueGhozd
    #

We're picking up RT2 just south of Jefferson and following it all the way over to Newport where we pick up 95 into Bangor.Nice road to drive? Tried to stay off the interstates.Darryl
    Yes RT2 should be fine to Newport. The scenery from Jefferson to Bethel is very nice. You will see Mt. Washington as you travel into Gorham. If you are at a point to stop for the night, The Cabot Inn is a nice place to stay.
    cabotmotorinn.com
    They are in Lancaster which is not too far from Jefferson.
    Enjoy your ride!!

13. zliter
    #

Hope you have a great and safe trip. Sounds like you are going to be going through some real pretty country.

You must log in to post.