Motorcycle Club » Star 1100 Classic & Custom

03 1100 custom

9 posts from 5 voices
About This Topic
  1. DocHolitaj34
    #

Hi,
    I have a 03 1100 custom, it had a hypercharger and cobra pipes, 3 inch slash, installed by the PO. He didn't ride the bike very much; it only had 2500 miles when I bought it. Anyway the work was done at the Yamaha shop in Corbin, Ky where he bought the bike and when I bought it from him it ran great!!!! I have ridden the thing about 4000 miles and now it backfires when I decelerate, not always but some, it occasionally backfires when I accelerate. All and all just runs rough, also very noisy, it always has been though. By noisy I mean a clicking sound coming from? somewhere. I know this is vague but this is pretty much what I am getting from the bike and it confuses me too, I am not a novice either, I have a background in engineering. This is however my first Yamaha. If anyone can help I appreciate it, I post once this morning under subject new in town and it doesn't seem to be getting much traffic. I really just don't know any other v star people; I hope this forum changes that.
    Thanks, Doc
    PS I'm sure it was properly rejetted when the work was done, it ran to good to start with and the guy who had it was very particular. Oh and the AIS is on the bike, I disabled it once, didn't seem to make a difference so I hooked it back up.

2. poppj
    #

They all make noise....mine is alot more quiet since i changed to a full synthetic oil....mobil 1 v twin or amsoil are two good full synthetics....i am sure they rejetted.....check plugs.....maybe you got some bad gas......many people on this forum use sea foam in the gas from time to time....it cleans fuel lines, plugs, etc....i have used it many times with great results....it is the first gas additive that works.....bob

3. poppj
    #

Check your air filter....it should be fine you dont have that many miles on it.....check the hoses behind the hypercharger....one may have came off.....bob

4. quicgmicg
    #

Hi,I have a 03 1100 custom, it had a hypercharger and cobra pipes, 3 inch slash, installed by the PO. He didn't ride the bike very much; it only had 2500 miles when I bought it. Anyway the work was done at the Yamaha shop in Corbin, Ky where he bought the bike and when I bought it from him it ran great!!!! I have ridden the thing about 4000 miles and now it backfires when I decelerate, not always but some, it occasionally backfires when I accelerate. All and all just runs rough, also very noisy, it always has been though. By noisy I mean a clicking sound coming from? somewhere. I know this is vague but this is pretty much what I am getting from the bike and it confuses me too, I am not a novice either, I have a background in engineering. This is however my first Yamaha. If anyone can help I appreciate it, I post once this morning under subject new in town and it doesn't seem to be getting much traffic. I really just don't know any other v star people; I hope this forum changes that.Thanks, DocPS I'm sure it was properly rejetted when the work was done, it ran to good to start with and the guy who had it was very particular. Oh and the AIS is on the bike, I disabled it once, didn't seem to make a difference so I hooked it back up.
    Does the bike still have the AIS system installed? Removing it may help the decel popping. Also by adjusting the PMS screws slightly, you should be able to get rid of it too.

The ticking sound is probably the valves...they sound that way when properly adjusted. If that clicking sound stops...it's time to adjust the them.

These air cooled motors have a bit sloppier tolerances than their water cooled brethren.....thus, they are a bit noisier in operation. It's still easily a 120,000 mile motor....it's just the nature of the air cooled motor (they are WAY better looking on the bike too!)

I hope that helps you a little bit!...If you have any other questions...we're here to help....

5. BigerRop328
    #

Hey Doc, welcome! Definitely try some seafoam and see if that helps the backfire/rough running. The v-star is kind of noisy, ticking sounds in the top end, etc, seem to be the norm.

I'm sure some other more knowledgeable folks will be along to offer some other advice.

6. LiddleBen
    #

Check the small hoses on the hypercharger and or the other ends at the carbs.You might need a carb sync, Or if the bike has been sitting it might need seafoam and some riding to clear the carbs..,L.B.

7. DocHolitaj34
    #

Thanks for all the great advice. I am really glad I've been able to find this forum. I will let you know as soon as I get a chance to work on my bike if the condition improves.
    Thanks again,
    Doc

8. DocHolitaj34
    #

Grabbed a can of SeaFoam yesterday on my way home, added 1/4 to 1/3 of the can to a little better than a half a tank, maybe even three quarters tank. Anyway I got to ride about 15 miles today, big ride for me these days, you know with all that is going on, the thing seems to already be running better.

Doc

9. poppj
    #

grabbed a can of seafoam yesterday on my way home, added 1/4 to 1/3 of the can to a little better than a half a tank, maybe even three quarters tank. Anyway i got to ride about 15 miles today, big ride for me these days, you know with all that is going on, the thing seems to already be running better. doc
    seafoam ....that stuff is like a tune up in a can......bob

You must log in to post.