Motorcycle Club » The Yamaha Shop Talk

?????

22 posts from 13 voices
About This Topic
  1. zcookiewzdar
    #

what do you guys keep in your saddle bags on a normal ride? not a cross country need extra underwear trip but just a short day trip through a few counties, or parishes for you louisiana folks.

2. MorkKW
    #

re: what do you guys keep in your saddle bags on a normal ride?

Rain gear; engine guard chaps; Plexus with towel; Protect All with t-shirt for windshield; tool kit; tire plug kit; C02 type of tire inflation kit; tire guage; sun block; extra set of ear plugs; bottled water; night-time/low-light glasses; mini first aid kit;

Morg

3. zhodz
    #

I haven't got any yet, but I intend to put some on before spring. I want them, for somewhere to put rain gear for a regular item. Otherwise, my lunch, a movie I pick up at the video store, a few groceries I pick up on my way home, or any other misc item, I may need to transport. I hate having to carry a backpack anytime I want to carry something bigger than my coat pocket. It will be nice to have some amount of storage.

4. popper19
    #

I got no bags, so I carry whatever fits on my back or in my pockets... Thinking about a roll bag for the handlebars for trips, though....

5. Jonezpoj
    #

Just stuff.........

6. MigejCojode
    #

I have a tobacco tin(ok it's not tin anymore it's plastic) with travel size sunblock, lip balm, latex gloves, mini pocket mask, multiple lengths of zap strap, and a small roll of electrical tape. I also carry my night glasses and usually a length of rope, military guys know it as 550 cord or para cord. But the most important thing in my saddlebags is a towel. Never go anywhere without your towel.

7. retzdaret
    #

2 words, "Rain Gear".

8. cowenandranch
    #

Rain gear, a hoodie, small tool kit, towel, spare gloves, bungee net & cords, $20

9. wzdarpiger54
    #

Rain gear, registration/proof of insurance, chapstick, small backpack(zips up into itself), hand sanitizer.

Why a towel???

10. MigejCojode
    #

A towel is one of the most useful things you can carry. It can dry a wet seat, it can be something dry to sit on coffee nite. It wipes buggy glasses and lights. You can add it as insulation inside leather on a cold day. It can be padding to something you've tied to the bike, if tied properly it can actually be used to hold large items down like a cargo net. You are only limited by what you can imagine.

11. zhodz
    #

Very true Mike. Had I thought of it, I would definetly add it to the "regular carry items" with the rain gear. I keep a blanket in my car and truck for the same reason. They've got room for the larger item so I've gone beyond a towel for those. You never know what you may need a clean dry piece of cloth for. I guess I also plan to carry basic first aid items, and some bungees in my bags too.

12. tunc
    #

just rain gear

but the towel ideas make sense

13. wzdarpiger54
    #

Think I will add a towel too, good idea.

14. wzdar6
    #

Mikey Why the latex gloves? I can't stand the sight of them. They make me tighten up and sweat pops out on the forehead.

15. popper19
    #

I carry non-latex gloves with me just about everywhere (car, motorcycle, bicycle, anywhere, really)... You never know when you may come across a crash or other traumatic injury. As a first responder, I am legally required to stop and render aid (and highly doubt I could live with myself if I rode past and later found out someone died). The gloves are necessary because you never know the other guy's history (Hepatitis, AIDS, Harley rider), and need to protect yourself. I carry non-latex because an increasing percentage of the population is allergic to latex (including my wife and myself).

16. MigejCojode
    #

I carry non-latex gloves with me just about everywhere (car, motorcycle, bicycle, anywhere, really)... You never know when you may come across a crash or other traumatic injury. As a first responder, I am legally required to stop and render aid (and highly doubt I could live with myself if I rode past and later found out someone died). The gloves are necessary because you never know the other guy's history (Hepatitis, AIDS, Harley rider), and need to protect yourself. I carry non-latex because an increasing percentage of the population is allergic to latex (including my wife and myself).
    Showing my age again. They are actually the purple nitrite gloves now, typing on auto pilot.

Harley rider, lol that's not contagious, it comes naturally after the frontal lobotomy.

17. MigejCojode
    #

Mikey Why the latex gloves? I can't stand the sight of them. They make me tighten up and sweat pops out on the forehead.
    I wear them when I insert the PEZ dispenser.... (insert drum flourish here)

Same reason as popper19, I'm an EMR and will stop to plug holes and wait for the blood bus. The gloves are a "Universal Precautions" thing that goes along with the mini pocket mask and is beat into us from day one.

18. zhodz
    #

.....Harley rider, lol that's not contagious, it comes naturally after the frontal lobotomy.
    Well you never know Mike. Better safe than sorry. I'd hate to catch that one.

PS the gloves in my 1st aid kit (in my truck) are latex. It's just what was in there, and didn't really see the need to switch them. After all, if they're bleeding, and I patch them up, what's a little skin irritation from the gloves. I guess I could be a nice guy and swap them for some non-latex gloves, now that you've brought it to my attention.

19. popper19
    #

Well you never know Mike. Better safe than sorry. I'd hate to catch that one.PS the gloves in my 1st aid kit (in my truck) are latex. It's just what was in there, and didn't really see the need to switch them. After all, if they're bleeding, and I patch them up, what's a little skin irritation from the gloves. I guess I could be a nice guy and swap them for some non-latex gloves, now that you've brought it to my attention.

The problem actually occurs when they have a severe allergy, or when the latex is introduced into their blood stream, digestive system, respiratory system, etc.... It could cause an acute case of anaphylactic shock (aka an acute case of death). As a first responder, I wouldn't know that, but wifey is a nurse and told me all about it.

If you are a first responder, check with your local EMS. They are usually pretty happy to help you out w a few pairs of nitrile gloves. (Our local EMS tosses me a fuill box every time I ask for a pair.... I got purple gloves coming out my @$$ now!!!)

20. roukhriter8
    #

I recommend with registration and insurance to keep a list of emergency contact info. When we go on a ride we usually ride away from home. I worked a wreck where a guys family was not notified until 3-4 hrs later when I had to track his family down. He had moved from the address on his license and his cell was destroyed. I had to go to the local ins. agent and look it up through them.

Reply »

You must log in to post.